People often tell me that bands today are just not as good as the bands of yore, but The Decemberists demonstrate that this is just not the case. They are ever innovative, unique, and inspiring.
This concert was a true family outing. My wife and I brought both our daughters, which was so much fun. The girls were very excited, and the feeling was infectious. I had that sense of rock and roll energy that I felt when I was younger. I guess it’s true that live music keeps you feeling young.
The band was excellent. For the first set, they performed The Hazards of Love in its entirety. Then they took a break, came back, and played a really solid second set, which included a super-energetic cover version of Heart’s “Crazy on You.” I left the show with an even greater appreciation for the band. They demonstrated that they are not only superb studio musicians, but they are also outstanding live performers.
Here is the set list…
Set 1 (The Hazards of Love)
- The Hazards of Love 1 (The Prettiest Whistles Won’t Wrestle the Thistles Undone)
- A Bower Scene
- Won’t Want for Love (Margaret in the Taiga)
- The Hazards of Love 2 (Wager All)
- The Queen’s Approach
- Isn’t It a Lovely Night?
- The Wanting Comes in Waves / Repaid
- An Interlude
- The Rake’s Song
- The Abduction of Margaret
- The Queen’s Rebuke / The Crossing
- Annan Water
- Margaret in Captivity
- The Hazards of Love 3 (Revenge!)
- The Wanting Comes in Waves (Reprise)
- The Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned)
- Angel, Won’t You Call Me?
- Leslie Anne Levine
- The Crane Wife 3
- Down by the Water
- Shankill Butchers
- The Chimbley Sweep
- Dracula’s Daughter
- Crazy on You
- Raincoat Song
- Sons & Daughters