This was my first time seeing Roger Waters. I had seen David Gilmour solo prior to this, which was very cool, but I was definitely excited to see Roger.
Unfortunately, we were on the second leg of this tour. The first leg, which happened in 1984, featured Eric Clapton on guitar. Instead, we had Jay Stapley. Oh well… such is life.
I went to this concert with both of my brothers, one of whom traveled a considerable distance to attend. But that brother has always been a huge Pink Floyd fan, so he was not going to pass on the opportunity to see Waters.
The show was basically broken into two sets: the first set was all Pink Floyd stuff, and the second set was “Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking” in its entirety. Then they did “Brain Damage/Eclipse” as the encore, which was awesome.
The sound was about as good as it could be, considering it was in the Hollywood Sportatorium, notorious for its crappy acoustics. The stage show was very cool. Lots of freaky visuals, props, and theatrics. Basically, everything that you would expect from a Roger Waters concert. High points for me were “Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun,” “If,” “Pigs on the Wing,” and of course, “Brain Damage.” Here is the full setlist. Rock on!!
- Welcome to the Machine
- Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
- Wish You Were Here
- Pigs on the Wing 1
- Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
- Southampton Dock
- The Gunner’s Dream
- In the Flesh
- Nobody Home
- Have a Cigar
- Another Brick in the Wall Part 1
- The Happiest Days of Our Lives
- Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
Set 2: (The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking)
- 4:30 AM (Apparently They Were Travelling Abroad)
- 4:33 AM (Running Shoes)
- 4:37 AM (Arabs with Knives and West German Skies)
- 4:39 AM (For the First Time Today, Part 2)
- 4:41 AM (Sexual Revolution)
- 4:47 AM (The Remains of Our Love)
- 4:50 AM (Go Fishing)
- 4:56 AM (For the First Time Today, Part 1)
- 4:58 AM (Dunroamin, Duncarin, Dunlivin)
- 5:01 AM (The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, Part 10)
- 5:06 AM (Every Stranger’s Eyes)
- 5:11 AM (The Moment of Clarity)
- Brain Damage